The Operations Unit provides a variety of services to other Units in the Country Office, to UNDP development projects and to other UN Agencies. Additionally, in 2019, the Operations Unit coordinates and contributes to implementation of several complex cross-sectorial and business innovation initiatives: finalization of the “UNDAF innovation facility project on Diversity”, improving the physical accessibility of the UN House, and mainstreaming diversity and accessibility principles into programme and operations; energy saving and greening initiatives based on recommendations of the building Energy Audit; reorganization and digitalizing of CO archive and development of procedures and tools for internal documents’ workflows; other initiatives for improving the working environment and address staff well-being issues.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Head of Finance Unit the incumbent assists in the effective and efficient provision of services to projects and UN Agencies. Finance Administrative Associate applies and promotes the principles of results-based management (RBM), as well as a client-oriented approach consistent with UNDP rules and regulations.
Finance Administrative Associate works in close collaboration with the Programme, Operations, Communications and project teams in the Country Office (CO) for effective achievement of results, anticipating and contributing to resolving complex programme/project-related issues and information delivery. The incumbent is expected to exercise full compliance with UNDP programming, financial, procurement and administrative rules, regulations, policies and strategies, internal SOPs, as well as implementation of the effective internal control systems.
In addition to the above, Finance Administrative Associate, under the direct supervision of the Head of Finance Unit/CO, and overall coordination of the ARR - Operations, will ensure effective execution of financial services and processes in CO and transparent utilization of financial resources. Finance Administrative Associate will promote a client-oriented approach consistent with UNDP rules and regulations.
The incumbent supports CO to provide services of financial and administrative type to projects and UN agencies based on long-term arrangements or ad-hoc requests:
- Prepare requests for direct payments;
- Monitor budget expenditures and maintain a proper record of approved project budgets and their revisions;
- Prepare proposals for budget revisions for UN RC Office and Country Office;
- Prepare and submit expenditure and project budget status reports for UN RC Office and Country Office;
- Ensure proper control of the supporting documents for payments and their compliance with established procedures and regulations'
- Prepare all types of vouchers for development, management projects and on-behalf of Atlas and non-Atlas Agencies;
- Respond to queries with respect to financial aspects and follow up with the ps.support any questionable finance related issues;
- Provide support for timely preparation and clean-up of cost-recovery information for services provided by UNDP. Proper clean-up, sorting and compilation of reports for efficient cost recovery;
- Provide support to Finance Associate on timely corrective actions on unposted vouchers and reversal of charges, including the vouchers with budget check errors, match exceptions, unapproved vouchers;
- Assist internal and external auditing of management and development projects;
- Prepare bank payment orders;
- Provide support to Finance Unit for preparing financial reports.
Administrative and travel management
- Provide support to projects’ requests on administrative related issues;
- Pro-actively contribute to day-to-day project implementation and ensure conformity to expected results and project work-plans;
- Make pertinent logistical arrangements for events organized by projects, CO and UN agencies;
- Assume overall responsibility for administrative matters of a more general nature, such as registry and maintenance of project files and records, where applicable;
- Provide support for procurement of equipment, supplies and services;
- Create and manage e-requisitions in ATLAS;
- Provide services of travel administration (organizing travel, procuring tickets, preparing requests for travel and processing travel claims);
- Advise and assist staff, international advisors and national consultants on all aspects of allowances, travel claims and other financial matters and calculate payments due for claims and services;
- Prepare and submit proposals for annual DSA review;
- Respond to queries from the beneficiary institution, donor and UNDP with respect to travel aspects and external auditors wherever required;
- Prepare recurring travel reports as scheduled and special reports as required for budget preparations and audit;
- Monitor Travel and Expense Dashboard and follow up on pending claims, tickets and cash advances;
- Provide on the job related induction briefing for newcomers;
- Maintain proper filing system for travel records and documents.
- Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values;
- Exerts strict adherence to corporate rules, regulations and procedures. Familiarity with the internal control framework and results-based management tools is a must;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Shares knowledge and experience;
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills.
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Proven ability to problem-solve, and think creatively to develop and implement smart business solutions in a challenging socio-economic environment;
- Ability to establish and maintain contacts with senior-level officials of the host government required. Excellent interpersonal skills are essential part of the job;
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, is required to obtain, evaluate and interpret factual data and to prepare accurate and complete reports and other documents.
Leadership and Self-Management
- Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure;
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities.
Required Skills and Experience
- University Degree in economics, finance, accounting, law, public administration or other related field.
- At least five years of experience in administrative work, accounting/finance, economics, or other substantive area is required'
- Previous experience in development assistance or related work for a donor organization, consulting company, or NGO is a very strong advantage'
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling web-based management systems.
- Fluency in both oral and written English and Romanian is a must. Knowledge of Russian is an advantage.
UNDP is committed to workforce diversity. Women, persons with disabilities, Roma and other ethnic or religious minorities, persons living with HIV, as well as refugees and other non-citizens legally entitled to work in the Republic of Moldova, are particularly encouraged to apply.
This is a local position, therefore only citizens of the Republic of Moldova or others legally authorized to work in the country are eligible to apply.
Please note that only applicants who are short-listed will be contacted.
Online applications can be submitted by registered users only. Self-registration link is available at the next page and requires candidates to provide a valid email address.
To learn more and apply for this and other positions please visit our site at: