UNDP is the UN’s global development network, an organization advocating for change and connecting countries to knowledge, experience, and resources to help people build a better life. UNDP is on the ground in about 170 countries and territories, working with national counterparts on solutions to global and national development challenges.
In the Republic of Moldova, UNDP partners with a wide range of actors from the host government, civil society, business community, United Nations system, development partners, academia and other development actors to help the country achieve sustainable development guided by the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). In particular, this entails eradicating poverty in all its forms and dimensions, accelerating structural transformations for sustainable development and building resilience to crises and shocks.
UNDP Moldova Country Office (CO) is organized internally to allow for innovative data collaborative to drive foresight analytics and integrated policy and programming responses through UNDP interventions that advance national policy reforms and programmes. Pursuing integrated programmatic and policy response, and fostering strategic partnerships and alliances with different stakeholders will require a candidate who consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude and has a strong client orientation and teamwork skills.
The Policy Specialist works with Government counterparts to identify socio-economic policy options for the Government reform agenda and to enhance the policy impact of UNDP interventions. The Policy Specialist advocates for and represents UNDP in his/her area of expertise as requested by his/her supervisor.
Under the direct supervision of the Deputy Resident Representative, and strategic guidance of Resident Representative, the Policy Specialist advises UNDP Senior Management on a broad range of socio-economic trends and policies and their relevant linkages to UNDP programmes. The Policy Specialist provides relevant data analysis to inform formulation of strategies and briefings to Senior Management to allow for an agile and responsive UNDP Country Program management. The incumbent develops and implements innovative methods that strategically capture and share technical knowledge from all UNDP Moldova teams and partners to improve UNDP Country Programme effectiveness and strategic direction.
The Policy Specialist may supervise and lead a team of UNDP experts, international and national consultants and project staff. The Policy Specialist maintains a network with colleagues from UNDP, UN Agencies, International Financial Institutions, Government officials, multi-lateral and bi-lateral donors, private sector and civil society.
Key Duties and Accountabilities:
- Advice and support to UNDP management, programmes and projects on existing and emerging socio-economic and development issues and integrated programmatic and policy solutions, in light of evolving country, regional and global contexts;
- Advice to Government counterparts and facilitate knowledge development on existing and emerging socio-economic and development issues;
- Create and facilitate strategic partnerships and support resource mobilization;
- Advocate and promote UNDP’s mandate and mission;
- Provides advice and support to UNDP senior management and program teams on socio-economic trends, development issues, and related integrated programmatic and policy solutions, in light of evolving country, regional and global contexts, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Compilation, analysis and interpretation of diverse sources of socio-economic data that feed into formulation of foresight, insights and deeper research of the socio-economic and development issues in the country.
- Provision of top quality analysis and substantive inputs to UNDP Country Program Document, common UN analysis and preparation of other strategic policy papers, reports and project documents as relevant.
- Advice on possible areas for UNDP support and adjustment of on-going programmes to ensure that UNDP programmes are coherent, integrated and in line with national policies and priorities.
- Strategize with CO senior management on new programmatic and policy support opportunities as well as non-project modalities for delivering advisory services and development support to national and sub-national counterparts.
- Refine integrated portfolio strategy and policy positions through continuous critical assessment, anticipation modelling and analysis to meet policy and programming needs of national counterparts that responds to existing and emerging development challenges in country
- Engage with the private sector in data and solution collaboratives that advance concrete, innovative solutions to accelerate Sustainable Development Goals. Production and launch of socio-economic papers and reports, including the National Human Development Reports.
- Contribution to sub-regional, regional and inter-agency initiatives related to development and socio-economic issues.
- Representation of UNDP in relevant UN working groups, including on SDGs.
2. Provides policy advice to Government counterparts and facilitation of knowledge building and management among partners focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Provide policy options, particularly from pro-poor perspectives, on socio-economic development.
- Identify capabilities within UNDP Moldova, regional and global levels to conduct specific design engagements and recommend sourcing of necessary capacity, facilitating the design and scoping of engagements and their deliverables;
- Make sound contributions to knowledge networks and Communities of Practice through identification of best practices and lessons learned.
- Assesses the country’s socio-economic policies and their impact on poverty reduction, growth, equity, etc.
- Provides training and capacity building support for UNDP staff and Government officials, public institutions on socio-economic issues.
3. Ensures creation of strategic partnerships and support to resource mobilization focusing on achievement of the following results:
- With CO management and team members, define a portfolio of integrated and innovative programmes and services that engage new partners and collaborators.
- Cultivate relationships with technical experts locally and internationally that champion Moldova’s ambition, demonstrating UNDP Moldova’s expertise and innovation.
- Develop partnerships with the UN Agencies, IFI’s, government institutions, bi-lateral and multi-lateral donors, private sector, civil society based on strategic goals of UNDP, country development needs and donors’ priorities.
- Develop and convene networks of collaborators attracted to the development issues championed by UNDP and ready to advance the work and profile of UNDP.
- Engage with the private sector to promote the 2030 Agenda and the Sustainable Development Goals.
- Analyse and research information on donors, preparation of substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation.
- Produce periodic updates and briefs about country development situation to be used by stakeholders, CO and HQ.
4. Advocates and promotes awareness of UNDP mandate and mission focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Conduct public and policy advocacy for the 2030 Agenda and the Sustainable Development Goals, pro-poor and equitable economic growth by participating in relevant coordination groups, forums, conferences and trainings.
- Support monitoring of progress and formulation of strategies towards the achievement of the 2030 Agenda and the Sustainable Development Goals.
- Manage events and publications on a variety of development issues.
Expected Demonstration of Competencies
Achieve Results: LEVEL 3: Set and align challenging, achievable objectives for multiple projects, have lasting impact
Think Innovatively: LEVEL 3: Proactively mitigate potential risks, develop new ideas to solve complex problems
Learn Continuously: LEVEL 3: Create and act on opportunities to expand horizons, diversify experiences
Adapt with Agility: LEVEL 3: Proactively initiate and champion change, manage multiple competing demands
Act with Determination: LEVEL 3: Think beyond immediate task/barriers and take action to achieve greater results
Engage and Partner: LEVEL 3: Political savvy, navigate complex landscape, champion inter-agency collaboration
Enable Diversity and Inclusion: LEVEL 3: Appreciate benefits of diverse workforce and champion inclusivity
System Thinking: Ability to use objective problem analysis and judgement to understand how interrelated elements coexist within an overall process or system, and to consider how altering one element can impact on other parts of the system
Knowledge Facilitation: Ability to animate individuals and communities of contributors to participate and share, particularly externally
Partnerships management: Ability to build and maintain partnerships with wide networks of stakeholders, Governments, civil society and private sector partners, experts and others in line with UNDP strategy and policies
Data literacy: Understand the potential as well as the limitations of using data driven innovation. Ability to use a mix of data sources (quantitative, qualitative or real-time techniques) to develop understanding, identify patterns to inform decision making or identify opportunities for further exploration
Co-creation: Ability to design and facilitate a process that enables a diverse group of stakeholders to solve a common problem, develop a practice, or create knowledge together · Ability to embrace diversity, work with a diverse group of stakeholders, understand their interests, perspectives and views and tap into them as a source for creativity · Ability to facilitate processes and create conditions that are open for diverse inputs, stimulate collaboration and sharing
Crisis and Fragility Policy and Engagement: Data/Analytics for early warning and crisis management
SDG Integration: Economy-wide analysis Engagement with South-South Global Thinkers
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in Economics, Political Sciences, Social Sciences or related field.
- A first-level university degree (Bachelor’s degree) in combination with an additional two years of qualifying experience will be given due consideration in lieu of the advanced university degree
Experience, Knowledge, and Skills
- 5 years (with Master’s Degree) or 7 years (with Bachelor’s Degree) of relevant experience at the national or international level in providing socio-economic and development related advisory services.
- Advanced understanding of economic theories, principles and their applications to current national economic and development issues.
- Proven capacity to undertake and manage complex policy analysis and to promote innovation.
- Experience in leading/managing integrated knowledge product development and dissemination
- Experience in design, monitoring and evaluation of development projects.
- Experience with private sector engagement.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems and advanced programmes for statistical analysis of data.
- Working knowledge of one or more additional languages relevant for Moldova, including Bulgarian, Gagauzian, Romani, Ukrainian or sign language would be an asset.
Languages: Fluency in English, Romanian and Russian.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience, and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Data de încheiere a postului vacant : 17 august 2023
Pentru a aplica, vă rugăm să adresați link-ul: Apply Now
Alte anunturi de angajare
- Specialist/specialistă în activitatea de lobby (advocacy, parteneriate și rețele) în cadrul A.O. „CONCORDIA. Proiecte Sociale”
- Project Procurement Assistant (NPSA-5) -UNDP Moldova/EU4Moldova: focal Programme
- HelpAge International angajează Expert(ă) în domeniul violenței în bază de gen
- Project Finance Associate (NPSA-7) - UNDP Moldova/Dniester Project
- HR Generalist
- UNICEF Moldova: Programme Associate, GS-6 (FT)_for Moldova nationals/residents only - recruitment for 2 posts
- BNM anunță concurs pentru postul vacant de expert principal gestiune procese, pe durată determinată
- National Budget and Finance Consultant
- Bioinginer Companie Internațională