Electoral support and capacity development are part of UNDP’s democratic governance assistance worldwide, through which UNDP helps nations build democratic frameworks to improve representation, accountability, and transparency for the benefit of citizens.
UNDP has a long-standing partnership with the Central Electoral Commission (CEC) and the Center for Continuous Electoral Training (CICDE) aiming at advancing the democratic electoral processes in Moldova by consolidating the transparency and efficiency of elections’ management, modernization of electoral IT solutions and enhancing the inclusiveness and participation of voters. This partnership, which spans over 10 years, resulted in the establishment of strong professional institutions, development of a modern State Automated Information System “Elections” (SAISE), the enhancement of the State Register of Voters’ accuracy and the design and implementation of effective long-term civic and voter education instruments.
Throughout the last electoral cycles, CEC and CICDE due to the continuous UNDP’s support have demonstrated strengthened capacities and, despite challenges and persistent financial limitations faced by the institutions, delivered “well-administered elections” as attested by OSCE/ODIHR Observation Missions.
Since 2017, the Project "Enhancing democracy in Moldova through inclusive and transparent elections” supports the Central Electoral Commission to enhance the transparency and inclusiveness of the electoral process in Moldova by ensuring a more independent and credible electoral administration and better informed and pro-active citizens. Successively, on 1st of August 2020, the second phase of the Project “Enhancing Democracy in Moldova through Inclusive and Transparent Elections – EDMITE” has started. The overall goal of the Project is to achieve an enhanced integrity, transparency, and inclusiveness of the electoral process in Moldova by ensuring a more independent and credible electoral administration and better informed and pro-active citizens. Hence, the project has an outward-oriented approach, focusing on the electoral process and all relevant actors (CEC, CICDE, ministries and government agencies, educational institutions, civil society).
Building on the sustainable results achieved during the first phase of the Project implementation (2017 – 2020), the objectives of the current Project phase (2020 – 2023) are: 1) Enhance the inclusiveness of the electoral process by increasing the functional and technical capacities of the State Automated Information System “Elections” (SAISE); 2) Enhance the political participation of citizens by setting up and implementing the voters’ information and civic education programmes; 3) Strengthen the capacity for effective and coherent oversight and monitoring on political party financing; and 4) Improve the legal and regulatory framework to respond to the EOM recommendations.
To achieve the objectives and ensure the sustainability of results, the Project will further support the CEC and CICDE in implementing extensive civic education and voter information programs in accordance with their strategic documents: 2020 – 2023 CEC Strategic Development Plan and the 2020 – 2023 CICDE Strategic Development Plan. These interventions will include the institutionalization and scaling-up of programs dedicated to the teachers as electoral education promoters and school councils’ elections as a tool to promote greater civil understanding and participation. Moreover, the Project will continue its partnership with the Ministry of Education, Culture and Research to develop a dedicated curriculum/program on voter education for schools and universities.
Scope of work
OBJECTIVE AND EXPECTED OUTPUTS
The Project intends to contract a School Textbook Development Specialist (hereafter the Consultant) to provide professional support and expertise in the elaboration of a school textbook on electoral education, which shall be based on the already developed and approved school curriculum, throughout all the needed design and development phases.
Specifically, the Consultant will have the following responsibilities:
- Prepare and present to the project team a detailed Work Plan with milestones and timelines for elaboration of the school textbook;
- Taking into consideration the already developed and approved school curriculum, develop the concept design of the textbook including its thematic content (modules and lessons) along and present it to CICDE representatives and scientific consultants. Based on the received feedback, prepare and present a final version of the concept;
- Divide the design of the lesson into stages of the learning framework (Evocation-Realization of meaning-Reflection-Extension) and discuss it with the scientific reviewers, teachers, CICDE representatives. Afterwards, based on the results of the discussion, develop the final version of the document;
- Develop the content of the four textbook modules in close cooperation with the co-author and the content consultants and present it to the scientific reviewers. Based on the received feedback, prepare and present a final version of the textbook;
- Develop the textbook vocabulary (containing key concepts) and bibliography;
- Develop the concept regarding the layout of the textbook (including chromatic, icons, images, drawings, graphics, etc.). Conduct working meetings with the layout designer to develop and agree the concept;
- Prepare a final comprehensive report documenting all conducted activities, focusing on the results achieved, issues and challenges of the development process, lessons learned and recommendations.
For detailed information, please refer to Annex 1 – Terms of Reference.
Requirements for experience
Academic Qualifications and Achievements:
- Master’s degree or higher in Social Sciences, Education, or other relevant field for this assignment. Additional academic qualifications and achievements will be considered a strong advantage.
Experience and knowledge:
- At least 7 years of demonstrated experience in working in education field;
- Proven experience in elaborating textbooks, didactic materials, or other related materials (At least three (3) textbooks (for pupils) elaborated and other similar assignments, detailed in his/her CV or Cover letter);
- Demonstrated experience in the design and delivery of classes, trainings, or education seminars, as well as moderating/facilitating public events;
- Proven experience of working with the Ministry of Education, Culture and Research, and in coordinating and approving education and didactic materials, including school textbooks and other related materials;
- Experience in mainstreaming gender and human rights aspects is a strong advantage;
- Experience in similar positions in an UNDP and/or EU-funded project or other international organization is an advantage.
- Proficient knowledge in international and local standards in children education and educational material;
- At least (1) one assignment related to the coordination and monitoring of scientific consultants for the development of textbooks;
- Excellent written communication, creative and analytical skills;
- Strong sense of initiative and ability to work independently;
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills, as well as the ability to communicate effectively with all stakeholders and to present ideas clearly and effectively;
- Knowledge and sound understanding of election area (CEC roles and responsibilities, as well as Government institutions, NGOs and international donors working in this field);
- Fluency in Romanian and English languages (verbal and written) is a must. Knowledge of Russian will be considered as an advantage.
Desired additional skills and competencies
- Proven commitment to the core values of the United Nations, in particular respecting differences of culture, gender, religion, ethnicity, language, age, HIV status, disability, and sexual orientation, or other status;
- Excellent research, analytical and writing skills;
- Responsibility, creativity, flexibility and punctuality, ability to meet deadlines and prioritize multiple tasks;
- Demonstrated interpersonal and diplomatic skills, as well as the ability to communicate effectively with all stakeholders and to present ideas clearly and effectively.
The UNDP Moldova is committed to workforce diversity. Women, persons with disabilities, Roma and other ethnic or religious minorities, persons living with HIV, as well as refugees and other non-citizens legally entitled to work in the Republic of Moldova, are particularly encouraged to apply.
Documents to be included
Interested consultants must submit the following documents/information to demonstrate their qualifications:
- Offeror's Letter confirming interest and availability;
- Technical proposal (incl. brief description of experience, approach, and methodology for the completion of the assignment);
- Financial proposal (in USD) specifying a total lump sum requested for the assignment specified in the Terms of Reference;
- Duly completed and signed Personal History Form (P11), personal CV and at least 3 references.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Lump sum contracts
The financial proposal shall specify a total lump sum amount, and payment terms around specific and measurable (qualitative and quantitative) deliverables. Payment will be made upon the successful completion of the tasks assigned and submission of the assessment report. Payments are based upon output, i.e. upon delivery of the services specified in the TOR. To assist the requesting unit in the comparison of financial proposals the financial proposal shall include a breakdown of this lump sum amount (including fee, taxes, communication costs, travel, per diems, and number of anticipated working days).
Application Deadline: 21 July 2022, 16:00 (GMT+2:00)
Mr. Petru Puscas, firstname.lastname@example.org