Special Vacancy Notice 2023-17 (extended)
Open to Internal and External Candidates
Senior Programme Associate (Shelter Technical)
General Staff Category, Grade G-6, UN Salary Scale
Type of Appointment
Short term, nine months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date
September 05, 2023
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental, and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Well qualified candidates, particularly women, persons with disabilities, Roma and other ethnic or religious minorities, persons living with HIV are particularly encouraged to apply.
Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
On 24 February 2022, conflict broke out in Ukraine when Russian forces launched a largescale invasion following months of steadily increasing tensions. As a result, immediately before and during the crisis, a huge increase in migratory flows has been seen from Ukraine. Overall, it is estimated that over 600,000 migrants have left Ukraine to neighboring countries, with a further 160,000 estimated to be internally displaced.
Under the overall supervision of the emergency coordinator and the direct supervision of the Shelter/CBI Programe Manager, the Shelter technical assistant will be accountable for specialized contribution to the implementation of shelter project activities within the framework of the emergency response program in Moldova, in accordance with IOM procedures, and in close coordination with other units.
Working under the overall supervision of the Shelter/CBI Programme Manager, the successful candidate will be responsible in providing administrative and field programme support along with the implementation Shelter Projects in Moldova.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Provide specialized assistance in the implementation of the shelter projects according to the agreed response strategy and plan.
- Liaise closely with the Shelter Program Manager and Officer throughout the planning, design, and implementation stages of all technical activities, including but not limited to the rehabilitation of public or private buildings, hand over donation of equipment’s, set up of Transit sites and site improvements of transportation hotspots.
- Ensure close coordination with local government (municipalities) and sectoral stakeholders/counterparts to exchange information inf the field on the implementation of Shelter/WASH activities.
- Fully participate in and/or facilitate technical assessments.
- Under the guidance of the shelter program manager and in close coordination with the procurement and logistics team, provide support in the preparation and follow up of purchase request forms as part of the procurement process, as well as for the timely distribution of materials, supplies and equipment in accordance with IOM standard procedures.
- Coordinate and monitor any rehabilitation works being conducted by contractors to verify that works are conducted in a timely manner and according with IOMs specifications.
- Provide design inputs and prepare bill of quantities as required.
- Facilitate introduction of new technology, methods and approaches in order to improve the quality of the activities.
- Continuously monitor the ongoing activities, participate in evaluating progress through outputs and impacts using both quantitative and qualitative data.
- Coordinate the implementation of Shelter projects in line with the requirements and in accordance with IOM, donor, country, and international standards.
- Prepare and develop status reports, minutes of the meetings, travel requests, and other documents, as required by the management.
- Liaise with government, relevant UN and NGO partners, contractors and consultants at state, district, and field level, as required.
- Ensure proper filing of documents and installing visibility after completion.
- Conduct / organize assessments to evaluate the shelter response, get beneficiary feedback, etc. and provide input into the strategic direction of the response plans according to changing needs and context appropriateness.
- Perform any other duties that may be required.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering, Architecture or related field with three years of relevant professional experience or;
- High School Degree/Certificate with five years of relevant experience.
- Preferably 3+ year(s) of relevant experience in the construction industry.
- Experience in community mobilization and engagement and mediating among local actors is an asset.
- Strong management capability and experience in the field of humanitarian assistance.
- Proficiency in computer applications (MS Word, Excel, Outlook etc). Versatile in use of design-related software (e.g. AutoCAD) and ability to prepare schedules/bills of quantities and cost estimates.
- A sound and up-to-date knowledge of the building industry, local construction techniques and materials.
- Ability to work quickly and accurately and pay attention to detail.
- Willingness to assist efficiently in a very busy project environment.
- Ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure.
- Ability to present clear and concise information and good communication skills.
- Ability to work effectively and harmoniously with colleagues from varied cultures and professional backgrounds.
- Ability to learn new programming modalities quickly.
- Familiarity with financial and business administration.
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills.
Fluency in English, Russian, Romanian is required (oral and written).
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.:
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies - Behavioural indicators –level 2
- Leadership: Provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the Organization’s vision. Assists others to realize and develop their leadership and professional potential.
- Empowering others: Creates an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: Works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Internals of the Organization and NMS candidates will be considered as first-tier candidates. This vacancy is also open to second-tier candidates.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, security clearances, and a valid COVID certification.
Only candidates residing in the country of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, and work permit, as applicable.
How to apply:
Interested applicants are invited to send the Personal History form https://civic.md/userfiles/attachments/14191/IOM_Personal_History_Form.xls and cover letter in English to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please, indicate the position you are applying for and reference code in the subject line of your message.
Closing date for applications is 05 September 2023.
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts the Personal History Forms duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
From 08.08.2023 to 05.09.2023
Alte anunturi de angajare
- BNM anunță concurs pentru postul vacant de consilier/ă juridic/ă, Direcția avizare juridică și contencios
- BNM anunță concurs pentru postul vacant de economist principal responsabil de raportarea financiară
- Coaliția Est-Europeană pentru Egalitatea LGBT+ angajează Contabil
- British Embassy Chisinau is hiring a Project Officer
- NDI is seeking to recruit Program Assistants (Two Positions Available)
- BNM anunță concurs pentru postul vacant de economist/ă principal/ă responsabil/ă de elaborarea statisticilor macroeconomice din cadrul contului curent al Balanței de plăți a Republicii Moldova (venituri secundare și contului de capital).
- Procurement Associate (NPSA-7) - UNDP Moldova/Japanese Project - 13507
- BNM anunță concurs pentru postul vacant de expert principal, reglementare și licențiere sisteme de plăți
- Project Associate (NPSA-7) - UNDP Moldova/Law Enforcement Projects Implementing Unit
- Procurement and Operations Coordinator for the USAID Moldova Rural Competitiveness and Resilience Activity (RCRA)