UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
Sustainable management of water resources in accordance with the principle of integrated water management is the priority for Moldova. For further development of water policy and improvement of regulatory framework, the Ministry of Environment (MoE), with the support of its subordinate institutions, is responsible for ensuring ongoing dialogue with neighboring countries on the integrated management of transboundary water resources, with the ultimate goal to ensure amount and quality and quantity of waters needed for both sustainable socio-economic development and healthy environment.
In the process of improvement of national regulatory framework, harmonization of environmental legislation with the provisions of European Union (EU) directives, national environmental protection system faces many constraints, particularly, related to outdated standards, normative acts, capacity of responsible institutions, shortage of qualified staff in the government sectoral institutes, etc.
The importance of integrated management of the Dniester River is indisputable for the Republic of Moldova. It is the largest river in the Republic of Moldova, covering 70% of the country's water consumption needs, thus being considered a strategic surface water resource for both environmental and socio-economic security of the country.
For the joint Moldovan-Ukrainian management of the Dniester River, a topic of major importance for Moldova is the impact of the operation of the Dniester Hydropower Complex (HPC) on the Moldova’s territory. In the frameworks of project Study of social and environmental impact assessment of the Dniester Hydropower Complex funded by Swedish Embassy and implemented by UNDP in 2018-2021, there was clearly shown its negative impact on the environment downstream.
According to Water Law no. 272/ 2011, river basin district management plans (RBDMP) are being developed for 6-years cycle. It shall be mentioned that the Ukrainian side is also concerned with the development of the Dniester River Basin Management Plan (RBMP) for the years 2025-2030. Important methodological aspects were harmonized between countries’ experts and institutions, and joint Strategic Action Program had been elaborated with assistance of the GEF funded project. The Strategic Action Program (SAP) is one of the key strategic documents of the Commission on Sustainable Use and Protection of the Dniester River Basin. It is based on the findings of the Transboundary Diagnostic Analysis (TDA) for the Dniester River Basin. Both documents have been developed according to the methodology agreed by the two countries and have been extensively consulted. The documents contribute to the Dniester River basin management planning at the national level, as well as support implementation of international commitments to develop joint plans for the transboundary basins. On March 31, 2021, there was signed a Joint Statement on the approval of the Strategic Action Program for the Dniester River Basin for 2021 between the Ministry of Agriculture, Regional Development and Environment of the Republic of Moldova and the Ministry of Environmental Protection and Natural Resources of Ukraine.
Along with attempts to solve the cross-border aspect of the Dniester River management on the platform of the Dniester Commission, currently, environmental institutions are in an extensive process of functional analysis aimed at streamlining the structure, functions, and capacities in the field of integrated management of water resources.
The strategy of the project “Support to the Moldovan authorities for the sustainable management of the Dniester River” is to improve environmental and social conditions in the Dniester River Basin District through enhanced management of water resources on the basis of updated regulatory framework, comprehensive and reliable river basin management planning, improved water management institutional capacities and implementation of practical environmental activities that would improve the ecological status of the Dniester River, identified as part of the Dniester Impact Study (2021).
The Project consists of 4 (four) Components as follows:
- Component 1. Enhancement of water related regulatory framework
- Component 2. Elaboration of the 2nd Management Plan for the Dniester River Basin District
- Component 3. Support provided to Moldovan water management authorities in sustainable management of Dniester River both at national and transboundary/ international levels
- Component 4. Implementation of the on-the-ground activities to improve the current ecological conditions of the Dniester River.
The Overall Objective of the project is to increase the capacity of the Moldovan Government to sustainably manage the Dniester River basin at the national and transboundary levels, including:
- To ensure that Moldova has sufficient regulatory framework for the sustainable river management based on the basin wide approach supported by the WFD provisions,
- To provide the Moldova Government for comprehensive and realistic Management Plan for the Dniester River Basin developed in compliance with the WFD,
- To provide continuous support for enhancement of capacities of national authorities responsible for water management, as well as the Moldovan representatives under joint Moldovan and Ukrainian bodies tasked with cross-border management of the Dniester River,
- To improve social, economic, and environmental conditions of the Dniester River.
The Project duration is envisaged between 2022- 2026 with support from SIDA (The Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency).
Duties and Responsibilities
The Project Finance Associate works in close collaboration with the Project team as well as the team in the Country Office (CO) for effective achievement of results, anticipating and contributing to resolving complex project/project-related issues and information delivery. The incumbent is expected to exercise full compliance with UNDP programming, financial, procurement and administrative rules, regulations, policies and strategies, as well as implementation of the effective internal control systems.
The Project Finance Associate in close cooperation with the project team, under the direct guidance and supervision of the Project Manager, will ensure the provision of financial and administrative services of the highest quality and standards to the project team, UNDP Country office, as well as national counterparts and clients. More specifically:
- Pro-actively contribute to day-to-day project implementation and ensure conformity to expected results and project work-plans;
- Coordinate short-term consultants;
- Assume overall responsibility for the coordination of administrative matters;
- Monitor compliance with UNDP standards and ensure quality control of project filing systems and files;
- Provide advice to the team on financial and administrative issues.
- Monitor budget expenditures and maintain a proper record of approved project budgets and their revisions;
- Prepare proposals for budget revisions;
- Upon request, prepare and submit expenditure and project budget status reports;
- Maintain accurate budget reporting in both UNDP and Donor standard templates;
- Prepare other recurring reports as scheduled and special reports as required for budget/financial preparations and audit;
- Respond to queries from the UNDP and Donor with respect to financial aspects of the project, liaise with UNDP-appointed and external auditors wherever required;
- Act as Alternate for Procurement Associate responsible for the creation of the e-requisition in Atlas;
- Undertake other financial and administrative tasks as required.
The key results have a direct impact on the overall successful achievement of the Project objectives. Accurate analysis and presentation of information enhances UNDP’s position as a strong development partner. The information provided facilitates decision-making of the Project Board, the Beneficiary and UNDP management.
Direct supervisor: Project Manager
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Project Manager, the incumbent contributes to an effective and efficient implementation of project objectives through a range of actions contributing to the design, planning, management and monitoring of activities. The Project Finance Associate applies and promotes the principles of results-based management (RBM), as well as a client-oriented approach consistent with UNDP rules and regulations.
- Achieve Results: LEVEL 1: Plans and monitors own work, pays attention to details, delivers quality work by deadline
- Think Innovatively: LEVEL 1: Open to creative ideas/known risks, is pragmatic problem solver, makes improvements
- Learn Continuously: LEVEL 1: Open minded and curious, shares knowledge, learns from mistakes, asks for feedback
- Adapt with Agility: LEVEL 1: Adapts to change, constructively handles ambiguity/uncertainty, is flexible
- Act with Determination: LEVEL 1: Shows drive and motivation, able to deliver calmly in face of adversity, confident
- Engage and Partner: LEVEL 1: Demonstrates compassion/understanding towards others, forms positive relationships
- Enable Diversity and Inclusion: LEVEL 1: Appreciate/respect differences, aware of unconscious bias, confront discrimination
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies
- Business Management - Results-based Management
- Ability to manage projects and projects with a focus at improved performance and demonstrable results
- Business Management - Resource Management
- Ability to allocate and use resources in a strategic or tactical way in line with principles of accountability and integrity
- Business Management - Working with Evidence and Data
- Ability to inspect, cleanse, transform and model data with the goal of discovering useful information, informing conclusions and supporting decision-making
- Business Management - Monitoring
- Ability to provide managers and key stakeholders with regular feedback on the consistency or discrepancy between planned and actual activities and project performance and results
- Finance - Budget management
- Ability to support budgetary aspects of work planning process, drawing and management of team budgets
- Finance - Financial reporting and analysis
- Understands changes in regulatory, legal and ethical frameworks and standards for financial reporting in the public sector. Ability to extract, evaluate financial data, derive relevant findings and present them in a meaningful and coherent manner to facilitate effective decision making and performance monitoring. Understands the benefits of integrated reporting, including non-financial resources such as human, social and intellectual capital, and environmental and governance performance
- Procurement - Financial analysis
- Knowledge of evaluating businesses, projects, budgets, and other finance related transactions to determine their performance and suitability
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary Education
- Bachelor’s Degree in finance, accounting, public administration, business administration, economics or a related field would be desired.
- At least seven(7) years (with Secondary Education) or four (4) years (with Bachelor’s Degree) of complex experience in administrative work, financial management, budget development, accounting, economics, or other substantive area is required.
- Previous experience in development assistance or related work for a donor organization, consulting company, or NGO.
- Previous experience in similar positions with UNDP is an advantage.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advanced knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling web-based management systems.
- Fluency in oral and written English, Romanian and Russian.
- Knowledge of one or more minority languages relevant for Moldova, including Romani, Gagauzian, Bulgarian, Ukrainian and sign language, is an asset.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality, age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats peers fairly by maintaining consistent values, inspiring trust and confidence through personal credibility;
- Accepts responsibility and accountability for the quality of the outcome of his/her decisions.
- A proactive approach to problem-solving;
- Ability to prepare accurate reports and other documents.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously and ability to prioritize.
- Understands more advanced aspects of primary area of specialization as well as the fundamental concepts of related disciplines
- Serves as internal consultant in the area of expertise and shares knowledge with staff
- Demonstrates comprehensive knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
- Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Ability to achieve results and meet strict deadlines in an effective manner, maintaining a high quality standard throughout
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Tolerates conditions of stress, uncertainty or ambiguity and continues to maintain a positive outlook and to work productively.
- Finance related trainings and/or certification is an advantage. Longlisted candidates may be required to undergo the UNDP Accountancy & Finance Test (AFT)
The following documents shall be required from the applicants:
- Personal CV or P11, indicating all past positions held and their main underlying functions, their durations (month/year), the qualifications, as well as the contact details (email and telephone number) of the Candidate, and at least three (3) the most recent professional references of previous supervisors. References may also include peers.
- A cover letter (maximum length: 1 page) indicating why the candidate considers him-/herself to be suitable for the position.
- Managers may ask (ad hoc) for any other materials relevant to pre-assessing the relevance of their experience, such as reports, presentations, publications, campaigns or other materials.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
To apply please follow the link: Apply
Advertisement was extended by: 19 May 2023
Alte anunturi de angajare
- BNM anunță concurs pentru postul vacant de consilier/ă juridic/ă, Direcția avizare juridică și contencios
- UNFPA Communication Manager Youth Programmes, Chisinau, Moldova (Service Contract, SB4.3)
- UNWFP Moldova: Monitoring and Evaluation Assistant SC5 (2 roles) based in Chisinau
- Logistics Officer Moldova
- Caritas Moldova is hiring Communications Officer
- Call for expression of interest: Assistant (male or female) of the EU High Level Adviser on Financial Services
- Procurement Associate (NPSA-7) - UNDP Moldova/Japanese Project - 13507
- IREX Moldova/Comunitatea Mea program vacancy - Procurement and Grants Officer (extended deadline)
- UNDP Moldova: Project Associate (NPSA7) - Resilient, Inclusive Markets in Moldova (RIM) Project
- Termen extins pentru selectarea unui expert sau a unei companii de consultanță pentru instruiri în domeniul comunicare, marketing și sustenabilitate a activităților generatoare de venit pentru vârstnici