Legal Expert Pre-Vetting Secretariat – Moldova
Dexis Consulting is a professional services firm that solves the most pressing social challenges in complex environments, paving the way for a more secure and prosperous world.
We embrace diversity, equity, and inclusion and strives to build and maintain a safe environment where we celebrate diverse backgrounds, treat everyone with respect, and value the unique lived experiences each person brings based on their race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, disability, military or veteran status, national origin, age, marital status or family status and related conditions.
Working with us, you will experience a corporate culture of inclusiveness, fairness, and trust. You will be given the means and mentorship needed to succeed, and your creativity will be rewarded.
Dexis Consulting implements the Effective Justice Indefinite Delivery/Indefinite Quantity (IDIQ) project with USAID/Moldova to foster an efficient, accessible, and transparent justice system that uniformly applies the rule of law. Effective Justice has four goals: to deliver improved justice services, strengthen the connection between courts, communities, and system users, improve the judicial and legal environment for business, and strengthen the independence of the judiciary.
The project is implemented through individual Task Orders. Award of the second task order is anticipated in February 2022 for a period of 8 months to provide technical assistance to Support the Pre-Vetting Secretariat. Assistance will consist of the establishment and support of a secretariat responsible for the investigation, analysis, and review of the integrity of candidates for the self-governing bodies of judges and prosecutors – the Superior Council of Magistracy (SCM) and the Superior Council of Prosecutors (SCP), respectively.
The Covid-19 pandemic has prevented the election of new officers for the administration bodies of judges and prosecutors, as the General Assemblies of Judges and Prosecutors could not be convened due to pandemic-related restrictions. By default, the mandates of current members were extended, providing a window in which to conduct the vetting process for candidates. Thus, the pre-vetting process is planned to take place in the early to mid-2022. Authority for the pre-vetting process is embedded in draft legislation expected to be adopted in the Moldovan Parliament by the first week of February 2022. The pre-vetting process will be conducted by an Evaluation Committee (EC) and its Secretariat.
The overarching goal of this anticipated second task order is the establishment of a pre-vetting secretariat that is fully operational, understands its roles and processes, and is capable of preparing documents in accordance with the pre-vetting law and within all established timelines.
Finalization of the recruitment and selection process is subject to final adoption of the draft law and USAID Moldova’s award of the task order. Candidates must be able to start in late February or early March.
About the Position
More than one Legal Expert position may be filled.
The Legal Expert will report to the Head of the Secretariat and will be responsible for:
- Assisting the EC members in understanding the general legal context relevant to the vetting process;
- Drafting legal documents as requested by the EC and Secretariat;
- Assisting the EC members in writing decisions;
- Reviewing and proofreading translated legal texts, if necessary;
- Providing legal advice the EC and Secretariat on various legal matters arising in the pre-vetting process;
- Assisting the EC in planning, organizing, and conducting in-person interviews.
- Assist in reviewing relevant documents related to candidates for the SCM or SCP membership and produce their personal profiles.
- Minimum of a Master’s degree in law.
- At least 3 years of experience with a focus on legal drafting, research, and analysis.
- Previous engagement with international projects in the sphere of judicial reform will be considered an advantage.
- Previous experience as a lawyer, judge or prosecutor in the civil law system will be considered an advantage.
- Previous experience with investigations and data collection will be considered an advantage.
- Language: Fluency in written and spoken Romanian, working proficiency of English
How to Apply:
Qualified applicants should submit a cover letter highlighting relevant experience and a current CV to: email@example.com and should note “Moldova Legal Expert” in the email subject line. This position is open to Moldovan Nationals only.
Dexis is committed to a diverse workforce and strongly encourages qualified women to apply.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.