Position: Expert for Elaboration of the Sub-Basin Management Plan for the Frumoasa – Crihana River
Project: Enhancing climate resilience in the Biosphere Reserve "Prutul de Jos"
Project number: 8360-00/2019
Donor: Austrian Development Cooperation
Reporting to: EcoContact, Project Manager
Post type: Individual service contract
Estimated implementation period of assignment: June – October 2020
Working languages: English, Romanian / Russian
The project “Enhancing climate resilience in the Biosphere Reserve "Prutul de Jos" supported by the Austrian Development Cooperation, aims to support national and local authorities in implementing the Law on the establishment of the Biosphere Reserve "Prutul de Jos" no.132 of 13.07.2018 that entered into force on 24.08.2018. Within the project, the assistance will be provided to central authorities and particularly to local actors from 10 mayoralties with the purpose to enhance climate resilience; support the implementation of pilot measures on adaptation to climate change, which will be identified in the course of the project; and to learn how to contribute to the preservation of the ecosystem. The project will be implemented in the Lower Prut area, which is located in the Southern part of the Republic of Moldova and includes the Prut River and naturally flooded lakes. A wetland that stretches along the Prut River covers a mosaic of water ecosystems, meadows, and forests. The territory (more than 14,771 ha) is part of the Cahul district and the communities of Brînza, Cîşliţa-Prut, Colibaşi, Crihana Veche, Giurgiuleşti, Manta, Slobozia Mare, Vadul lui Isac, and Văleni.
The intended impact of the project is: The Natural Protected Area Biosphere reserve “Prutul de Jos” is managed sustainably taking into account climate change impacts and delivers ecosystem services for local communities.
The project's expected outcome is: Climate resilience of the Natural Protected Area Biosphere reserve “Prutul de Jos” is enhanced and communities and local authorities have increased their capacities for climate change adaptation.
Expected Outputs of the project:
Output 1: Climate change risks identified, recommendations elaborated and priority adaptation measures implemented in a participatory manner within the Biosphere reserve “Prutul de Jos” area;
Output 2: The information and awareness about the value of the protected area and its ecosystem services as well as climate change impacts are increased;
Output 3: Capacities of local and national level actors (women and men) on climate resilience and effective management of the Natural Protected Area Biosphere reserve “Prutul de Jos” are strengthened;
Output 4: The institutional and regulatory framework for integrated management of the Biosphere reserve “Prutul de Jos” and the Sub-Basin Frumoasa - Crihana River is strengthened in a participatory manner.
The objective and tasks of the assignment:
The Governmental decision of the Republic of Moldova nr. 775 from 04.10.2013 established the hydrographic basin and sub-basin boundaries and specific maps which it represents.
In this context, the total surface of the Crihana-Frumoasa sub-basin is 442 km2. This basin covers 13 localities, with almost 77,004 populations from the district (more than half): Cahul city and the villages Andrusul de Sus, Andrusul de Jos, Crihana Veche, Manta, Rosu, Brinza, Cislita-Prut, Colibasi, Giurgiulesti, Slobozia Mare, Vadul lui Isac, Valeni. According to the expert’s calculations, the approximate flow from Frumoasa-Crihana sub-basin is 2,769,000 m3. One of the sensitive aspects of the sub-basin constitutes waste management. In the sub-basin there are 79 landfills, 65 of which are illegal. With a new management plan and consolidated administration, all these challenges faced by the sub-basin could be addressed in a more integrated way.
The main goal of the assignment is to elaborate on the Management Plan of the sub-basin Frumoasa – Crihana in order to define reference conditions and environmental objectives for surface waters and quality and quantity standards, including threshold values for groundwaters in the sub-basin. The Management Plan will include the results/data and information of the hydrological assessment Frumoasa – Crihana River, as well as activities towards integrated management of the river in urban and rural areas. Cross-cutting objectives have to be incorporated in the Management Plan, which are: gender equality, reduction of inequality, and climate sustainability.
According to the recommended draft methodology of the Water Agency “Apele Moldovei” on the elaboration of the sub-basin river the management plan, the following assessments will be conducted: economic pressure, sub-basin natural condition/elements/quality / factors etc., identification of problems; disaster risk, climate change impact and social development.
The elaboration process of the plan will be transparent and stakeholders (public, CSOs, businesses, authorities - data disaggregated by age and sex) from the locality where the river crosses its path will be involved. The local public authorities and civil society, especially vulnerable groups affected by climate change will be consulted. The project team will ensure their views are considered and their voices are heard.
The main objective of the Management Plan the sub-basin Frumoasa – Crihana is to elaborate a step-by-step approach to improve water quality and to ease the activity of the Sub-Basin Frumoasa - Crihana Committee. Following the elaboration of the Management Plan the Committee will be able to:
- Recognize the need for water quality management and commit to action;
- Harmonize use designations and level of water quality standards and criteria;
- Plan actions to improve water quality to meet use designations;
- Implement measures to improve and sustain water quality.
The main task of the sub-basin Frumoasa – Crihana management plant is to describe the actions related to:
- Support the local authority in the management of water resources, implement local and national policies on the use, maintenance, and regeneration of surface water resources in the sub-basin, and meet the water demand of populations and industries;
- Carry out long-term comprehensive programs on the reliable operation of water systems,
- waterside structures and individual units of engineering infrastructure;
- Undertake actions to prevent damage from water-related emergencies in villages and farmlands, provide flood protection in relevant areas;
- Direct and coordinate activities regarding the management, use, protection, and remediation of surface water resources, population, and industrial water supply.
The expert will be working in close cooperation with EcoContact’s project manager, experts, and sub-basin Crihana – Frumosa Committee. All deliverables submitted should be coordinated with the representative of the Austrian Development Agency (ADA) responsible for the supervision of the current project.
Deliverables and timeline for the implementation of the assignment
and % of the contract to be paid
Inception report on the Methodological approach for the elaboration of the sub-basin Crihana – Frumosa Management Plan presented to the project team.
Draft Management Plan elaborated and presented for consultation to the sub-basin Crihana – Frumosa Committee and Project’s Steering Committee (Romanian language).
Final Management Plan which incorporates all comments received presented to the sub-basin Crihana – Frumosa Committee and Project’s Steering Committee (Romanian language).
Final approval of the Management Plan by the sub-basin Crihana – Frumosa Committee.
Payment will be done upon the successful implementation and approval of deliverables stated above.
- Master’s degree or it's equivalent in Environmental Studies, Environmental Science & Policy, Environmental Economics, Meteorological Sciences, Environmental Law, or a related discipline.
- Strong understanding of climate change, risk, vulnerability and resilience, and experience with applying these concepts in previously implemented activities/projects.
- At least 10 years of relevant experience in the area of climate change (adaptation or mitigation), disaster risk reduction, livelihoods, or a related field, in particular with vulnerable populations and in a rural and urban context.
- Experience in implementing similar assignments.
- Ability to analyze, plan, communicate effectively orally and in writing, solve problems, adapt to different cultural, economic, political and social environments;
How to apply:
Bidders must submit the following documents in English:
- The CV of the expert: The CV of the expert should reflect the relevant experience in the area of assignment, and at least three references of the previous CVAs conducted.
- Financial offer for the implementation of the assignment including travel costs (two missions) to the Republic of Moldova.
- Proposed work plan for the assignment, that confirms availability and approach for the implementation of the assignment.
Please send the documents with the indication of the position in the subject line before June 15, 2020, to the email address of firstname.lastname@example.org. All bidders will receive the confirmation of the registration via email message.
For detailed information, please contact Catalina Arghir, Project Manager, +373 22 996162
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted