Position Title: Program Officer (Migration Management)
Duty Station: Chisinau, Moldova
Classification: National Officer Category, Grade NO-A, UN Salary Scale
Type of Appointment: Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: May 22, 2020
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Under the supervision of the Chief of Mission (COM) in Moldova, the Migration Management Program Officer is responsible for implementing and ensuring smooth running of IOM Chisinau Migration and Management programmes. Specific responsibilities include:
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Responsible for implementation of the Migration and Border Management projects developed by the IOM Moldova.
- Responsible for assisting the law enforcement agencies and other Governmental authorities in the area of Migration and Border Management and ensuring the activities are in line with the aims and principles of the IOM.
- Providing technical capacity support on Migration and Border Management to the government and non-government organizations at the national, regional and local levels.
- Guiding the operational activities of the IOM country projects in Migration and Border Management, including:
- Assisting the COM with the general supervision and implementation of the Migration and Border management projects and other activities as requested by the COM.
- Advising the COM on Migration and Border Management programme areas of cooperation and supporting the thematic and geographic expansion of the Migration and Border Management Program, in partnership with the UN agencies;
- Guiding and supervising the activity of the staff involved in the implementation of the relevant projects;
- Oversight of planning, budgeting, expenditure, procurement and logistics for the implementing of the Migration and Border Management programme, tracking the use of financial resources in accordance with IOM rules and regulations, with Mission’s administrative staff support;
- Effective monitoring, measuring the impact and evaluation of the Migration and Border Management programme, ensuring constant monitoring and analysis of the programme environment, and timely readjustment of programme;
- Drafting project reports and other related documents, in cooperation with other missions involved, incl. ensuring analysis of statistical information and coordinating the relevant research activities;
- Interact with project partners and other relevant stakeholders on program operational matters;
- Develop and maintain liaison with donor representatives and other relevant counterparts in order to ensure proper coordination of Project activities with ongoing and planned development efforts and Government planning, though, inter-alia, active participation in Project Steering Committee meetings and other coordination mechanisms in close coordination with the Chief of Mission;
- Providing input to Moldovan Governmental agencies in the relevant initiatives and activities pertaining to Migration and Border Management;
- Organizing and carrying out seminars and workshops, networking visits for law enforcement agencies and other Governmental authorities within the project’s framework and such other activities according to the project documents.
- Fostering the creation and improved partnership on Migration and Border Management with the UN Agencies, government institutions, bi-lateral and multi-lateral donors, private sector, civil society etc.
- Performing such other duties as may be assigned by the Chief of Mission.
Required Qualifications and Experience
Education and Experience:
- Completed advanced university degree from an accredited academic institution preferably in Law, Political or Social Sciences, International Affairs with at least two years of relevant professional experience; or,
- Master’s degree in the above fields,
- Experience in project implementation and management.
- Work experience related to areas of migration management, including border management, labour migration, counter-trafficking would constitute an added advantage.
- Experience in working with governmental institutions and non-governmental organizations.
- Understanding of the border management and integrated border management concept on the EU level.
- Knowledge of Moldovan and EU policy and legislation in the area of migration and border management.
- Knowledge of international human rights legislation, standards and practices in the migration context.
Fluency in English, Romanian and Russian is required.
- Inclusion and respect for diversity respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.:
- Delivering results produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies - behavioural indicators level 2
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assist others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others and building trust creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic vision and thinking works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a velar strategic direction.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Internals of the Organization will be considered as first-tier candidates. This vacancy is also open to second-tier candidates.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
How to apply:
Interested applicants are invited to send their curriculum vitae and cover letter in English to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Those candidates who have already applied in response to earlier advertisement will be automatically considered and do not need to apply again.
Please, indicate the position you are applying for and reference code in the subject line of your message.
Closing date for applications is 22 May 2020, however interested candidates are strongly encouraged to apply sooner.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
From 12.05.2020 to 22.05.2020