Position title: Legal expert in inter-municipal cooperation
Status: Local consultant
Reports to: Policy and Research Manager
Location: Chisinau, Moldova
Expected duration of assignment: approximately 10 days (during May 2020, with the possibility of extension and renewal)
Application deadline: April 24, 2020 by 6:00 p.m (Republic of Moldova time)
IREX is an independent nonprofit organization dedicated to building a more just, prosperous, and inclusive world by empowering youth, cultivating leaders, strengthening institutions, and extending access to quality education and information.
Comunitatea Mea (CM) is a 5-year program funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) and administered by IREX. The program’s purpose is to improve the capacity of local public authorities (LPAs), including their ability to work inclusively with citizens and civil society, to increase revenues, improve financial management practices, build stronger checks and balances between the central and local governments, and facilitate public-private partnerships and inter-municipal cooperation.
The Comunitatea Mea Program has four interrelated components:
- Improved quality and access to municipal services;
- Citizens meaningfully engaged in local governance;
- Decentralization policy reforms advanced; and
- Increased locally-owned revenues and improved financial management practice.
Component 3 activities include providing support to Moldovan authorities in their efforts to strengthen and rationalize the institutional and policy framework for local service delivery and democracy.
IREX seeks a legal expert/consultant in inter-municipal cooperation in Moldova to develop a policy brief focused on improving legislation regarding inter-municipal cooperation in Moldova. The legal expert will review all relevant legislation and propose amendments to improve legal clarity and efficiency for setting up and managing inter-municipal collaborations in Moldova. The policy brief will include an assessment of the current situation in inter-municipal cooperation in Moldova, legal gaps/discrepancies that need to be addressed, overview of applicable good practices, and proposed amendments to the legislation. The consultant will present the policy brief in a public policy discussion with stakeholders.
Duties and responsibilities
- Conduct summary research of current situation regarding inter-municipal cooperation (IMC) in Moldova (number and types of IMCs, areas of activity, legal form of existing IMCs etc.).
- Review current legislation relevant to IMCs and identify gaps and discrepancies.
- Research best practices in regulating IMCs in the region.
- Based on current issues in the legislation and based on applicable good practices, draft legal amendments that address current gaps and discrepancies in legislation relevant to IMCs.
- Write a policy brief to include an overview of current situation and legislation regarding IMCs, overview of gaps and discrepancies in current legislation, overview of good practices in regulating IMCs, and proposed amendments.
- Present the policy brief in a public policy discussion with stakeholders.
Policy brief to include an overview of current situation and legislation regarding IMCs, overview of gaps and discrepancies in current legislation, overview of good practices in regulating IMCs, and proposed amendments. Policy brief will be written and submitted in Romanian language.
Reporting: the consultant will submit bi-weekly reports (in English language) during the entire duration of the assignment.
Please note: Deliverables are subject to amendment based on consultation outcomes; further guidance and amendment of the deliverables maybe undertaken during the assignment, as needed and discussed.
- The Consultant will work under the overall guidance of the CM Chief of Party and direct supervision of the Policy and Research Manager.
- The Program staff will provide the consultant with the necessary information and materials for the fulfilment of tasks.
- Materials provided to the consultant and all proceeding the consultancy contract shall be regarded as confidential, both during and after the consultancy. Violation of confidentiality requirements may result in immediate termination of contract.
Skills and experience
- Degree in law.
Experience and Skills
- Extensive experience (at least 3 years) in legal drafting and policy development.
- Proven experience in developing policy documents related to local governance issues.
- Familiarity with inter-municipal cooperation in Moldova and the region.
- Proven experience in working with national and local public authorities.
- Fluency in Romanian language.
- Knowledge of English language is desirable.
- Responsibility, multitasking, flexibility and punctuality.
Submit CV and a cover letter that includes your consulting rate requirements. to: email@example.com. Please include “Legal expert in inter-municipal cooperation” in the subject line.
Deadline: April 24, 2020 at 6:00 p.m. (Republic of Moldova time)
Applicants will be selected for an interview on a rolling basis.
* IREX will only respond to those applicants selected for an interview.