Open to Internal and External Candidates
Position Title: Project Assistant (Migration Management)
Duty Station: Chisinau, Moldova
Classification: General Staff Category, Grade G-6, UN Salary Scale
Type of Appointment: Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date : March 04, 2020
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Under the supervision of the Migration Management National Program Officer and overall guidance of the Chief of Mission the Migration Management Project Assistant will be responsible and accountable as appropriate for implementation of all relevant activities of the project “EU 4 Border Security” funded under the EU Delegation in Moldova and other relevant IOM projects.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Carrying out project activities, as detailed by the Program Coordinator and coordinate with other relevant ongoing and planned IOM Moldova initiatives;
- Contribute to efficient management and deployment of project resource, activation, implementation, reporting, monitoring and evaluation of the project;
- Contribute to and monitor proper utilization of the IOM and donor’s standard operating procedures, manuals, guidance notes, tools and methodologies in the implementation of project activities;
- Maintain regular working relations on project issues with other IOM missions, state migration related agencies and institutions, international organizations and NGOs and ensuring full transparency, coordination, information sharing and cooperation among project partners as well as UN agencies, the international donor community, civil society, academia and media aiming at expansion of IOM collaboration with relevant governmental entities, partners and donors;
- Keeping the database and coordinating negotiations and contracting of local and international experts, participating in the project, assisting them during and between the visits, preparing necessary documentation, materials, including necessary legal materials;
- Managing, directing and supervising contracted personnel involved in projects delivery ensuring their services have comprehensive and accurate outcome for implementation of individual project activities along with the expected overall project results;
- Setting up and maintaining of the filing system related to specific project components;
- Preparing memos, research work on related subjects, as well as of presentations and regular project updates and reports on the project implementation to government, donor and other relevant stakeholders as required;
- Participating in relevant conferences, workshops, steering committees, policy and technical working groups, as well as other forums to ensure proper coordination and presentation of IOM migration management activities;
- Undertaking possible duty travels relating to projects implementation as appropriate;
- Organizing and carrying out seminars and workshops, networking visits, steering committees within the project framework and such other activities according to project documents;
- Designing and coordinating implementation of public information, awareness raising and visibility aspects of the project, in coordination with the IOM and UN Media and Public Information Officer;
- Following, analysing and reporting any relevant developments in the area of migration management policy and practice and recommending appropriate actions aiming at increasing effectiveness of the project implementation;
- Supporting development of new projects, in line with identified needs, donor and governmental priorities and IOM's mandate and strategy;
- Assist with developing Memoranda of Understanding, contracts, expert ToRs, agreements and other related documentation;
- Providing translation of overall project materials and documents, as well as interpreting during different meetings as appropriate;
- Performing other duties as may be assigned by the IOM Moldova Chief of Mission or Migration Management Program Coordinator.
Required Qualifications and Experience
Education and Experience:
- Completed advanced university degree from an accredited academic institution preferably in Law, Political or Social Sciences, International Affairs and four years of relevant professional experience; or,
- High school degree with at least six years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience in project implementation and management.
- Work experience related to areas of migration management, including border management, labour migration, counter-trafficking would constitute an added advantage;
- Experience in working with governmental institutions and non-governmental organizations.
- Understanding of the border management and integrated border management concept on the EU level.
- Knowledge of Moldovan and EU policy and legislation in the area of migration and border management.
- Knowledge of international human rights legislation, standards and practices in the migration context.
Fluency in English, Romanian and Russian is required.
- Inclusion and respect for diversity respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.:
- Delivering results produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Internals of the Organization will be considered as first-tier candidates. This vacancy is also open to second-tier candidates.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
How to apply:
Interested applicants are invited to send their curriculum vitae and cover letter in English to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please, indicate the position you are applying for and reference code in the subject line of your message.
Closing date for applications is 04 March 2020, however interested candidates are strongly encouraged to apply sooner.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
From 19.02.2020 to 04.03.2020