Solidarity Water Europe (SWE) is recruiting a project manager for the implementation of the project "Access to drinking water and sanitation for villages in the Nirnova basin” Republic of Moldova - Chisinau.
Solidarity Water Europe (SWE) is a Strasbourg, France-based NGO born in 1998, following the works of the Council of Europe in the water and environmental sector. SWE’s mission is to respond to crucial water challenges that arise throughout all the countries in the European sphere with a particular focus on Central and Eastern European countries where access to water and sanitation is still an actual issue.
Solidarity Water Europe forms a common movement with the International Secretariat for Water (ISW) – based in Montreal (Canada).
The Nirnova basin project covers 30 municipalities in the Nirnova basin, 16 of which are in the Nisporeni Raion and 14 in the Hincesti Raion. The current local sanitation networks cover only a minority of the municipalities and access to drinking water is not ensured for all inhabitants of the area.
The project focuses on the general objective: “Improving the sustainable access to water and basic sanitation for the population of the Nirnova basin”. The aim here is to go beyond the mere construction of water facilities by bringing out an improved water governance model, involving all the water stakeholders at local, regional and national level. The mayors of the municipalities, the Raions, as well as the public water and sanitation operators in the two Raions (ApaCanal) are mobilized for this project.
Launched in September 2016, a first phase of the project was dedicated to carrying out a technical and institutional diagnosis of the territory of action and to setting up a Franco-Moldovan platform for exchanges between elected officials.
In 2018, and based on the conclusions of the technical and institutional assessment, the second phase of the project was launched, with the objective to:
- Implement infrastructures improving access to safe water and sanitation, identified according to the technical diagnosis of the territory. These actions include:
- Implementation of protective measures for drinking water catchment points in the Hincesti and Nisporeni Raions (protection of 16 drinking water abstraction points);
- Establishment of a controlled water consumption project in the village of Cateleni;
- Establishment of a reed plant filtering plant in the village of Nemteni.
- Include infrastructure development in a basin-level approach – a framework that streamlines governance and directs water resource planning;
- Developing a coherent water resource master plan for the basin upon project completion.
To this end, SWE and its partners wish to recruit a project manager who will ensure the development, coordination and smooth management of the project.
The Project Manager will be responsible for the implementation and management of the various actions of the project and the tem on site, in close consultation with SWE and the partners involved.
In this context, he/she will have to ensure:
- The programming, the implementation, the animation and the follow-up of the project activities;
- The evaluation and reporting of the actions undertaken;
- The local coordination of the project, in collaboration with the various partners and stakeholder;
- Provide technical expertise and support of the local stakeholders;
- Communication with SWE and the project partners;
- Financial, accounting and administrative follow-up of the project in relation with SWE-ISW HQ;
- Support the organization of experts' missions and internships;
- Organization of training sessions for Moldovan partners in France;
- Represent SWE and the project towards local partners, institutions, and donors.
Reporting and operational relationships
The Project Manager will work under the authority of SWE-ISW.
In addition, he/she will collaborate with local authorities and partners, including the member(s) of the local team, as well as with the elected representatives of the municipalities of the Raions de Hincesti and Nisporeni located in the Nirnova basin, the main beneficiaries of the project.
He/she will be in close contact with the political/administrative authorities, the central and decentralized services of the Moldovan State, local and international partners as well as representatives of other development projects under way in Moldova.
He/she will rely on the expertise of the French partners responsible for each cooperation axis. Followup telephone meetings will be held regularly with SWE HQ.
Qualifications and experience:
- Master's degree in water and sanitation engineering / international cooperation and development / international project management or equivalent experience;
- Proven experience (minimum 5 years), in project management;
- Expertise in integrated water management, drinking water supply and sanitation issues;
- Experience in the supervision of works/rehabilitation of infrastructures related to water resources, civil and/or environmental engineering.
- Very good knowledge of Romanian
- Fluency in French
- Good command of English
- Project management and coordination skills
- Ability to lead a large network of partners
- Good knowledge of the functioning of international cooperation donors (EU, ADA, SDC, AFD, GIZ...)
- Proven writing skills
- Dynamism, reactivity, sense of initiative
- Adaptability / versatility
- Ability to evolve in a multi-actor/multicultural environment
- Good reporting skills
- Solution-oriented working methods
- Listening skills, availability, and synthesis spirit
Terms and conditions
Duration of the mission: 12 months, renewable
Salary: according to internal policy (to be discussed according to the experience of the candidate).
Deadline to apply: February 16th 2020
Start of employment: to be discussed (as soon as possible)
Location: The position is based in (Chisinau, capital of Moldova) with frequent travel to the Nisporeni and Hincesti raions.
Please submit your CV along with a motivation letter by February 16th, 2020. Applications should be addressed to Ms Antonella Cagnolati, President and Ms Sarah Dousse, Executive Director and sent at email@example.com (with the reference Project manager Moldova as object of the email).
Please note that only candidates who meet the required experience & qualifications for this position will be contacted for interview. Thank you very much for your interest!