TERMS OF REFERENCE
Position: Expert for local secretariat Administrative Council of the Biosphere Reserve “Prutul de Jos
Project: Enhancing climate resilience in the Biosphere Reserve "Prutul de Jos"
Project number: 8360-00/2019
Donor: Austrian Development Cooperation
Implementing agency: EcoContact NGO
Reporting to: Ecological Counselling Centre Cahul (ECC-Cahul)
Post type: Individual service contract
Estimated implementation period of assignment: 22 months
Working languages: Romanian / English
The project “Enhancing climate resilience in the Biosphere Reserve "Prutul de Jos" supported by the Austrian Development Cooperation, aims to support national and local authorities in implementing the Law on the establishment of the Biosphere Reserve "Prutul de Jos" no.132 of 13.07.2018 that entered into force on 24.08.2018. Within the project, the assistance will be provided to central authorities and particularly to local actors from 10 mayoralties with the purpose to enhance climate resilience; support the implementation of pilot measures on adaptation to climate change, which will be identified in the course of the project; and to learn how to contribute to the preservation of the ecosystem. The project will be implemented in the Lower Prut area, which is located in the Southern part of the Republic of Moldova and includes the Prut River and naturally flooded lakes. A wetland that stretches along the Prut River covers a mosaic of water ecosystems, meadows, and forests. The territory (more than 14,771 ha) is part of the Cahul district and the communities of Brînza, Cîşliţa-Prut, Colibaşi, Crihana Veche, Giurgiuleşti, Manta, Slobozia Mare, Vadul lui Isac and Văleni.
The intended Impact of the project is: The Natural Protected Area Biosphere reserve “Prutul de Jos” is managed sustainably taking into account climate change impacts and delivers ecosystem services for local communities.
The project's expected outcome is: Climate resilience of the Natural Protected Area Biosphere reserve “Prutul de Jos” is enhanced and communities and local authorities have increased their capacities for climate change adaptation.
Expected Outputs of the project:
Output 1: Climate change risks identified, recommendations elaborated and priority adaptation measures implemented in a participatory manner within the Biosphere reserve “Prutul de Jos” area;
Output 2: The information and awareness about the value of the protected area and its ecosystem services as well as climate change impacts are increased;
Output 3: Capacities of local and national level actors (women and men) on climate resilience and effective management of the Natural Protected Area Biosphere reserve “Prutul de Jos” are strengthened;
Output 4: The institutional and regulatory framework for integrated management of the Biosphere reserve “Prutul de Jos” and the Sub-Basin Frumoasa-Crihana River is strengthened in a participatory manner.
The objective and tasks of the assignment:
The main goal of this position is to offer secretariat Support for establishment of the administration and further management of the Biosphere Reserve “Prutul de Jos” Council (Activity 4.3). The activities will be performed under the supervision of the Senior Community mobilization Consultant from Ecological Counselling Centre Cahul (ECC-Cahul).
The local expert, in permanent consultation with project implementation team and based on the Law on the foundation of the Biosphere Reserve "Prutul de Jos", no. 132 /2018, will provide support including explanations to major stakeholders regarding the activity of the Administrative Council of the Biosphere Reserve “Prutul de Jos”. The expert will ensure the functionality of the Authority of Biosphere Reserve “Prutul de Jos” so that it has legal and policy documents in place and common understanding of the actions to be implemented.
At the same time, the expert will draft a Regulation on functionality of Biosphere Reserve "Prutul de Jos" and will promote for approval. The expert will actively participate in elaboration and provide support in implementation of the Council action plan.
The role of expert will ensure the functionality of the Council and to keep permanent dialog with all stakeholders at national and basin level and will provide assistance in developing capacity in integrated water management for the members of the Council.
Activities to be carried out under the assignment:
- Offer consultations on project relevant issues, to major stakeholders and members of the Council of the Biosphere Reserve “Prutul de Jos”.
- Offer the full support related to design and planning of meetings of the Council of the Biosphere Reserve “Prutul de Jos”.
- Draft a Regulation on functionality of Biosphere Reserve "Prutul de Jos";
- Elaborate and send to stakeholders’ invitations, agendas and necessary relevant documentation before meetings and minutes / meeting’s reports following events;
- Provide overall management activities related to Council of the Biosphere Reserve “Prutul de Jos”.
- Assist in the establishment of synergies and improvements amongst overall project activities of Administrative Council of Biospere Reserve “Prutul de Jos”, Committee of the Sub-Basin Frumoasa – Crihana and other relevant stakeholders in order to ensure a participatory development of the representatives of CSOs and businesses.
- Collect feedback on Committee and Project activities from key stakeholders and suggest on its incorporation on project’s input.
- Promote the project’s objectives on public, private or other societal actors at national and regional level;
Skills and Qualifications Required:
- Advanced degree in environmental, natural or social sciences, international relations, economics, development studies or related fields;
- At least five years demonstrated experience environmental, natural or social sciences, international relations, economics, development studies or related fields;
- Strong understanding of climate change, risk, vulnerability and resilience;
- Good analytical, reporting and writing abilities and experience with researching and writing on local / regional/ national environment issues;
- Ability to work and write in English is an asset.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively and reliably contribute to a geographically distributed work environment (via phone and email), including accountability to remotely located manager(s).
How to apply:
Bidders must submit the following documents in Romanian or English:
- The CV of the expert: The CV of the expert should reflect the relevant experience in the area of assignment, and at least three references;
- Financial offer for the implementation of the assignment.
- Motivation letter, that confirms availability for the assignment.
Please send the documents before February 11, 2021 to the email address of firstname.lastname@example.org
Or. Republic of Moldova, Cahul, str. A.Mateevici nr.21
For detailed information, please contact +373 78127500
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.