The NGO “Law Centre of Advocates” is looking for a qualified a person for a vacant position of Legal Counselor to support the “Legal assistance to stateless persons in Moldova” UNHCR Project.
Job title: Legal Counselor to support the “Legal assistance to stateless persons” UNHCR Project.
Duty station: Chisinau, Moldova
Contract type: Employment, part-time
Expected Duration of assessment: Fixt term, 1 February to 31 December
2020, with the possibility of extension
Application Deadline: 24 January 2020
Law Center of Advocates (LCA) is a public association founded in 1997.
LCA’s mission lies in the implementation of the projects and programs aimed at promoting Rule of Law, human rights, institution development, commenting on draft legislation; developing continuous
training programs; and delivering legal assistance to all refugees, asylum seekers, beneficiaries of humanitarian protection and stateless persons.
LCA is a partner to UNHCR since 1998. With UNHCR support, LCA implements a legal assistance project aimed at the rights and the well-being of people in need of international protection are inline
with international and European standards.
Key areas of accountability
- Assist all persons of concern ensuring timely high-quality protection information, counseling, assistance and representation at administrative stages of statelessness procedure;
- Conduct individual/family visits, interviews, and counseling in order to assess in practice the situation of stateless persons;
- Refer persons of concern to relevant state authorities for any type of available assistance and monitor the access to the national social, legal, educational and medical assistance;
- Facilitate the communication between persons of concern and state institutions;
- Communicate with persons of concern and explain how to access the state services (legal; social; educational and medical assistance).
- All communications and documentation related to the assignment are in English and Romanian.
Qualifications and skills required:
• University degree, preferably in international law or human rights law.
Experience and knowledge:
• Knowledge of Word, PowerPoint, and Excel (using for reporting and presentation)
• Good organizational and time-management abilities.
• Good analytical skills and good oral and written communication skills.
• Ability to work effectively under stress and in crisis situations.
• Cultural and gender awareness.
• Fluency in Romanian, Russian and English languages.
• Driver license.
Proven commitment to the core values of the United Nations, in particular, respecting differences of culture, gender, religion, ethnicity, nationality, language, age, HIV status, disability, and sexual orientation, or another status.
The LCA is committed to workforce diversity. Women and men, persons
with disabilities, Roma and other ethnic or religious minorities, persons living with HIV, as well as refugees and other non-citizens legally entitled to work in the Republic of Moldova, are particularly
encouraged to apply.
Interested applicants are invited to send their curriculum vitae and cover letter in English to firstname.lastname@example.org by 24 January 2020 (16:00, local time) or
Address for submission: 8, Vlaicu Parcalab str., Chisinau, Republic of
Moldova, with the subject line: “Legal Counselor, UNHCR Project”.
For additional information, please contact us by using the email the address provided or by phone at 022 240-898, contact person – Natalia Postaru – Project coordinator.